In the 2019/2020 Season
WIMBORNE RUGBY CLUB celebrated their 70th Anniversary
(formal celebrations curtailed by Covid-19, but will take place when restrictions are lifted)
Wimborne RFC - How it all began
In 1950, after a meeting at the Griffin Hotel, (now a block of flats) next to Wimborne Station (now a market), opposite Andy's Cafe (now houses), it was decided to form Wimborne Rugby Football Club, incorporating the Old Wimbornians.
This meeting was attended by a number of famous ‘old boys’ including Maurice Herridge, Ivor Hilliam, Bill Williams, Gunner Holman and Douggie Harrison (who went on to be the 59th President of the RFU).
The original minutes of this meeting stated that the club colours would be ‘all black’ with white collars and sock tops – this was decided primarily because it was inexpensive.
The logo depicted the Wimborne Minster church.
Early fixtures were held at Merley Camp (now Cobhams Flight Refuelling Social Club) and at the Hanhams ground (which later became the town cricket pitch, and is now home to Waitrose).
In 1963 the club moved lock, stock and barrels (!) to Leigh Park where the club remains to date.
The club includes two bars plus a large function hall. The Harrison room is dedicated to Douggie Harrison 1911-1989.
In September 2015, The Maurice Herridge Room was officially named, in memory of Maurice who will always be fondly remembered at Wimborne.
Team photos for each decade can be found in the Gallery, from the main MENU, or you can use the links below: